WE ARE AVAILABLE to meet clients and prospective clients by telephone and video conferencing, using either Zoom or Facetime. We are also available in person, whatever works best for you! We will continue to assist you in any way we can. Please do not hesitate to call our office and let us know how we can help.
Thompson Family Law, P.A.
Toll Free: 888-550-6071
Local: 239-243-9297

March 2020 Archives

Can you get emergency custody if your child is unsafe?

Most of the time, the authorities prefer to stay out of custody issues once a parenting plan and visitation schedule is set. The courts won't usually hear requests for modifications of an order unless there's a significant change in the circumstances for those involved.

Can a Florida spouse request a change in alimony obligations?

When a judge orders a spouse to pay alimony to their ex, they enter in a court order. While you may take that to mean that they cannot seek any changes to it, that's not the case. Spousal support orders can be modified in most jurisdictions. The paying spouse must generally have a valid reason for requesting a reduction in support though. The recipient may also request an increase under the same premises.

Why have a Qualified Domestic Relations Order in Florida?

One of the assets that couples end up fighting most about when they divorce is investment accounts. One of these reasons why they do so is because they often have fluctuating values, so it's really hard to hone in on a particular value for them. There are also tax implications associated with taking on or divesting yourself of certain investment assets. These are some of the reasons why individuals who have these types of accounts seek to have a Qualified Domestic Relations Order (QDRO) drafted up in their case.

What are the roles and responsibilities of custodial parents?

Family law judges tend to award both parents joint legal and physical custody whenever possible. They often do this because they've read how children fare best when they spend equal amounts of time with each parent. Splitting custody 50-50 isn't always what's in the best interest of the child though. It's in cases like these that judges tend to award primary physical or legal custody to one of them. That mom or dad then comes to be referred to as the custodial parent.

How Can We Help You

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Thompson Family Law, P.A.
3949 Evans Avenue, Suite 206
Fort Myers, FL 33901

Toll Free: 888-550-6071
Phone: 239-243-9297
Fax: 239-936-2542
Map & Directions