WE ARE AVAILABLE to meet clients and prospective clients by telephone and video conferencing, using either Zoom or Facetime. We are also available in person, whatever works best for you! We will continue to assist you in any way we can. Please do not hesitate to call our office and let us know how we can help.
Thompson Family Law, P.A.
Toll Free: 888-550-6071
Local: 239-243-9297

September 2020 Archives

When can you withhold your child from visitation?

A Florida family law judge's primary responsibility in child custody cases to make decisions that they believe are in your son or daughter's best interests. Many of them take this to mean that they should only approve parenting plan orders that allow both you and your ex to spend equal amounts of time with your child. If there's an existing visitation order in place and something happens that makes you uneasy about turning over your child to their other parent; then you'll want to be cautious about handling the situation. If you're not, then you may unnecessarily expose yourself to legal liability.

What rights you have if your ex violates your divorce decree

One of the final steps in finalizing your divorce is for a Florida family law judge to enter their final decree. Either spouse who violates this order may face contempt charges. It's not uncommon for a husband or wife who fails to turn over property, pay alimony or child support or violates custody orders to face contempt charges. Spouses can avoid such criminal penalties by merely negotiating better settlements or seeking modifications in their divorce cases if problems arise.

What should you remember if you're leaving an abusive marriage?

Making the choice to leave an abusive relationship isn't easy. In some cases, you'll have to think about children, which can make things even more complicated. Many people assume that this is as easy as just walking away or changing the locks; however, things are rarely that easy.

Know the difference between a mediator and parenting coordinators

It's common for divorcing spouses to have difficulty coming to terms with having to split up their time with their kids. Custody is one factor, aside from alimony, property division and child support discussions that can hold up a divorce. It's if you two seem unable to work out an amenable solution between the two of you that your attorney may recommend that you bring in a parenting coordinator to help you resolve your differences to move forward.

How Can We Help You

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Thompson Family Law, P.A.
3949 Evans Avenue, Suite 206
Fort Myers, FL 33901

Toll Free: 888-550-6071
Phone: 239-243-9297
Fax: 239-936-2542
Map & Directions