WE ARE AVAILABLE to meet clients and prospective clients by telephone and video conferencing, using either Zoom or Facetime. We are also available in person, whatever works best for you! We will continue to assist you in any way we can. Please do not hesitate to call our office and let us know how we can help.

Fort Myers Family Law Attorneys
Contact Us

Alimony orders can sometimes be modified

On Behalf of | Dec 16, 2016 | Alimony |

In our most recent blog post, we discussed how alimony doesn’t have to be a forever arrangement. In some cases, we can work it to so that you have a time limit for the payments or we might be able to arrange a lump sum payment so that you don’t have to worry about alimony again.

Another way that alimony can end is if your ex gets married again. This is sometimes the case; however, some exes will avoid getting married just so they can continue to get their alimony checks. We understand how frustrating that would be for you since you are still having to pay the payment each month. After all, you don’t want to support your ex and his or her new significant other.

It is possible to get an alimony order modified. If you don’t think that you should be paying alimony any longer or if your circumstances have changed and you need to have the amount of alimony changed, we can look into getting the order modified. Typically, there has to be some major life change to warrant a modification. We can help you learn if your case qualifies.

One thing that you shouldn’t do is to stop paying alimony before the order to do so ends. This could land you in legal trouble that you don’t need to have to deal with. We know that you might be ready to be done with your ex, but keeping up the payments until the court says you are finished or we can get that order changed is crucial.


  • The Florida Bar | Board Certified | Marital & Family Law
  • Super Lawyers
Photo of Professionals at Thompson Family Law
FindLaw Network