WE ARE AVAILABLE to meet clients and prospective clients by telephone and video conferencing, using either Zoom or Facetime. We are also available in person, whatever works best for you! We will continue to assist you in any way we can. Please do not hesitate to call our office and let us know how we can help.
Thompson Family Law, P.A.
Toll Free: 888-550-6071
Local: 239-243-9297

What should you remember if you're leaving an abusive marriage?

Making the choice to leave an abusive relationship isn't easy. In some cases, you'll have to think about children, which can make things even more complicated. Many people assume that this is as easy as just walking away or changing the locks; however, things are rarely that easy.

There are many things that individuals might have to think about when they're trying to get out of this type of situation. If you aren't in physical danger, you may have time to plan your escape.

What should you do to plan an escape?

If it's safe to do so, you can remain in your home while you save money and gather what you'll need to start your new life. This includes gathering up important documents like your birth certificate, the children's birth certificates, everyone's Social Security cards, immunization records and similar things.

You can also use this time to find a place to live or to find out what options you have that will enable you to remain in the marital home. Start looking into things like setting a budget that will enable you to cover the necessities once you're counting on only your own income.

Try to build up a support system during this time. You never know when things will change to the point where you need to leave as quickly as possible.

What if you're in physical danger of imminent harm?

Just remember, if you're in physical danger, you should leave quickly. Shelters and services are available to help people in that position. You may be able to turn to your loved ones or friends for help. Sometimes, calling 911 is the only option that a person will have for remaining safe and getting out of the abusive situation.

Ultimately, you may need to file for a restraining order to keep your ex away from you. Filing for divorce is another option that you have so that you can have a fresh start in your life. Nobody deserves to be abused, and it isn't your fault, so take steps to protect yourself as you walk away from the abusive marriage. Your attorney can explain your legal options and help you work through them.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

How Can We Help You

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Thompson Family Law, P.A.
3949 Evans Avenue, Suite 206
Fort Myers, FL 33901

Toll Free: 888-550-6071
Phone: 239-243-9297
Fax: 239-936-2542
Map & Directions