WE ARE AVAILABLE to meet clients and prospective clients by telephone and video conferencing, using either Zoom or Facetime. We are also available in person, whatever works best for you! We will continue to assist you in any way we can. Please do not hesitate to call our office and let us know how we can help.
Thompson Family Law, P.A.
Toll Free: 888-550-6071
Local: 239-243-9297

What do I need to do to relocate out of state with my child?

Florida child custody matters are often complex. A parent who petitions a judge to relocate to another city or state only makes matters worse. Some relocations may be unavoidable for you, but that doesn't mean that a judge will rule in your favor though.

Family law judges often require custodial parents to give written notice to the noncustodial one that they plan to move to another city or state with their shared child. The amount of notice that a mom or dad has to give the other varies depending on the jurisdiction. It can be as short as 30 or as long as 90 days. Custodial parents are required to ample notice so that the child's non-custodial mom or dad has time to challenge the request.

Most states only allow moms and dads to relocate with their children after receiving express consent from the other parent to do so.

Judges in Fort Myers and elsewhere in Florida generally require a parent to present them with a proposed visitation schedule for them to even begin considering allowing for the child to be moved out of state. The parenting plan between both parents must be updated to reflect this. If it's not, then the parent who remains behind could accuse the other of violating the parenting order.

Florida family law judges are most concerned with rendering decisions that are in the best interest of the children that they serve. A judge may restrict how far away a parent can move from the other one if think that it will adversely affect how much time a child can spend with their mom or dad.

Judges often spend significant time questioning parents that express an interest in relocating. If they're doing so to be closer to family, to pursue an education, to obtain a better job or to reduce their living expenses, then they may consider approving a parent's petition.

Most judges believe that it's in the best interest of children to spend equal amounts of time with both parents. Relocating a significant distance with your child can make it hard to facilitate this. If you're planning to move away with your son or daughter, then you'll want to get the process started soon. A Fort Myers child custody attorney can advise you of what you need to do to have the best chances of being allowed to relocate in your case.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

How Can We Help You

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Thompson Family Law, P.A.
3949 Evans Avenue, Suite 206
Fort Myers, FL 33901

Toll Free: 888-550-6071
Phone: 239-243-9297
Fax: 239-936-2542
Map & Directions