WE ARE AVAILABLE to meet clients and prospective clients by telephone and video conferencing, using either Zoom or Facetime. We are also available in person, whatever works best for you! We will continue to assist you in any way we can. Please do not hesitate to call our office and let us know how we can help.
Thompson Family Law, P.A.
Toll Free: 888-550-6071
Local: 239-243-9297

Child custody and the violent or abusive parent

Florida law protects children from abuse with a number of laws. It is possible for a parent or guardian to legally lose their custody and visitation rights because of violent or abusive behavior. However, the parental right to see and interact with their child is strongly respected by state and federal law. If it is possible for the parent to interact safely and appropriately with their offspring, then the court may choose to make provisions for custody, visitation or supervised visitation.

The best interests of the child are the primary concern for the court, and any parent who is convicted of first degree misdemeanor domestic violence, felony domestic violence or any other crime that carries with it a prison sentence and justifiable grounds for terminating parental rights might cause the court to assume that the best interests of the child do not lie with them. Although the parent may go to the judge and advocate for the restoration of some parental rights, they will have to prove that they are capable of safe and nurturing behavior around the child.

Evidence of abuse will also be considered by the court as they attempt to determine what the best interests of the child may be. A parent who has shown themselves to be unreliable or dangerous may require supervision during their visitation with the child.

Legal tasks such as establishing child custody or modifying a parenting plan may benefit from the assistance of a family law attorney. Such an attorney can provide guidance and advice as the client attempts to negotiate for their parental or custodial rights directly with the other parent or in court.

Source: Women's Law, "Can a parent who committed violence get custody (parental responsibility) or visitation (time-sharing)?", December 17, 2014

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

How Can We Help You

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Thompson Family Law, P.A.
3949 Evans Avenue, Suite 206
Fort Myers, FL 33901

Toll Free: 888-550-6071
Phone: 239-243-9297
Fax: 239-936-2542
Map & Directions