504 Plans

What Is A 504 Plan?

Under the law, children enrolled in grades K-12 in a public school setting who meet both state and federal disability standard qualifications are allowed to obtain a free individualized learning plan under the Individualized Education Program (IEP).

However, in some situations, children may not necessarily need or qualify for a detailed IEP or need enrollment in a special education environment, but still require assistance or accommodations at school to help them succeed.

This can be accomplished through what's known as a 504 plan. (The name references section 504 of the federal statute that mandates the assistance.)

Who Qualifies For A 504 Plan?

Children who typically qualify for 504 plans may not have a specifically designated disability that would trigger an IEP plan. However, the law specifically states that a child would qualify for a 504 plan if he or she:

  • Has a physical or mental impairment that substantially hinders a major life activity, and
  • Has a record of the impairment, and
  • The impairment is not considered temporary but chronic

Legal Assistance With 504 Plans For Parents, Grandparents And Guardians

At Thompson Family Law, P.A. our attorneys handle all types of family law matters for those in southwestern Florida. We often help parents, grandparents and guardians with 504 plans and other educational accommodations so their children can succeed in the K-12 public school system.

If your child needs specific learning instruction in school, contact our team to find out if a 504 plan is right for your child. We are happy to simply provide guidance, or our lawyers can work with you during every step of the process, including meeting with your child's teachers and district personnel and creating the necessary paperwork.

Let us help get your child the appropriate educational accommodations so he or she can succeed in school.

Contact Our Fort Myers Family Law Firm Today

We invite you to contact our office to set up a consultation to learn more. Call 239-243-9297 or toll free at 888-550-6071.